Thursday, October 2, 2008

What I Learned at the Fair, by J. Stanford

The Coshocton County fair is one of my top 10 favorite events of the year. So here's my report of what I learned this year. If I had thin, beige paper with a thick blue line, a thin blue line and a red line to write my big letters on with a fat pencil, I would!

What I learned at the Coshocton County Fair:
1. The difference between a pumpkin and a squash. For the un-knowledgeable among us, a pumpkin has a hard stem that's shaped like a star. A squash has a soft, circular stem. And now you know.
2. Some friends are a delight to see, even if you don't talk to them but once a year (usually at the fair). And others you have nothing in common with anymore and it's OK to hide in the horse barn to avoid the 'so what are you up to now?' awkward conversations.
3. People have talent and passion about alot of random things. Someone spent alot of time and energy teaching that horse how to pole-bend. And quilting takes more patience than I have. The model train mountains are still being built, at least 10 years in the making. Canning, baking, photography and growing ferns must come naturally to some people - I saw the proof! There really is a hobby for everyone.
4. Shoes say alot about your reasons for going to the fair. Old, worn in boots? New boots to show off? Cute, city-girl ballet flats? It's all about image, I guess. And the blisters on my feet after wearing afore-mentioned cute ballet flats go to show that I should have just worn my old boots.

Bonus learnings: Cows getting a haircut are funny to a 2-year old. White rabbits with red eyes are creepy.