I love the holidays... actually, I love the sense of anticipation that the holidays bring and the fact that, at least once a year I get to see almost all of my extended family within a few short weeks. It sometimes feels like reunions on crack, and with it comes all kinds of discussions about when and where and who. And just when I feel like I'm in the midst of playing master scheduler so we can spend time with everyone we love around the few holidays that everyone wants to celebrate, ka-bam! Reality check.
Found out that 12 people in a community of about 50 low-income, mostly older folks who live near my work - some of which are on my Meals on Wheels route - have no place to go for Thanksgiving. No family around. No money to go out for something special, or to buy extra food. My overabundance suddenly seems pretty insignificant when there are people around the corner who don't have anyone (it seems) that cares about them - other than the 11 other neighbors who they may or may not know, who are in the same boat, and the community manager. I know there's more to several of the stories, but still - it's the holidays people, and you shouldn't spend those days alone. Period.
Two side notes:
1) The 12 folks are going to have a nice meal, thanks to some generous colleagues who cleaned out their wallets, picked up some pies, offered to bake a turkey and provide the paper supplies for a meal.
2) Aside from the fact that Christmas is Christmas - reason enough to celebrate! Why are there no big celebrations/ get-togethers around Easter? Or July 4th? Why is it that Dec. 25 and the 4th Thurs. of November are the only 'big' days? There's 10 other months in the year with not much going on!