Thursday, November 20, 2008

Calm or Control?

Question stolen from someone else, but something I've been thinking about lately.


Which would you rather have: calm or control?


Kind of a chicken & the egg question, but here's what I've decided (after many contemplative car drives to work and bathroom time when Carson isn't knocking on the door (done yet mama?) - my best thinking times!):

I can't control people, places, things or situations. The only things I can really control are my actions, and, hopefully, my attitude. So I think about aiming for serene. "Serene" is defined as "calm, peaceful, or tranquil; unruffled." Or, in the words of a few family members: No Drama. Serene does not always equal 'happy,' but if I don't try to control the many things that are outside of my control, being calm is a lot more pleasant than being frustrated, resentful or angry.

Hope you're having a serene day!