Grandpa Shryock passed away unexpectedly on Sunday, August 17. The past couple of days have given me an excuse to slow down and reminisce for a while, with these four things that I want to remember of the past couple days.
1. Memories are odd. I remember picking up acorns at Grandpa & Grandma Shryock's house and playing alligator pit on the twin beds upstairs with Julie, Robbie, Darcie & Diane. I was just in elementary school then. But I don't remember Grandpa Wells' funeral when I was in high school. Grandma's short-term memory isn't good, but she recited every word of every bible verse read during the service, and knew instantly who Robbie was, even giving him a little salute.
2. Grandma and Grandpa Shryock were married for more than 60 years. Regardless of the ups and downs that those 60 years brought, watching grandma hold grandpa's wedding ring on her finger at the funeral service was one memory that I'll not forget. They traveled and camped in every province in Canada and every state in the U.S. except Hawaii (and if there was a bridge to the island, they would have been there too!).
3. Robbie made it home in time for calling hours on Wednesday. It was so nice to have our whole family there, and to be able to reconnect with friends I haven't seen for years. It reconfirmed to me that friendships do come and go - and that's OK. But your family is your family forever, for a reason. Even though each person has their own individual way of reacting to situations, and anger and bitterness will sometimes squirm in, holding grudges isn't worth it. Remembering the past is so important, but dwelling in it can be consuming.
4. Pastor Loomis commented during the service that although grandpa is not physically with us any longer, we should expect him to make appearances when we least expect it. After the services and dinner, we took a quick trip to see Mom & Tom's new house. The winding lane through the trees instantly reminded me of the drive to Montgomery's and Gma and Pa's old house in Roscoe. They even have an apple orchard.
Grandpa's Legacy.
Harris Shryock: Jan. 1, 1925 - Aug. 17, 2008