Happy Monday-after-Christmas! I'm taking a quick break at work and thought I'd post a few thoughts. You can't quit holiday activities cold-turkey, so I'm reminiscing for a moment over the laughs (lots), tears (some) and things I want to remember from Christmas 2008.
1. Family: I thought I wanted Christmas to be how it was when I was a kid - jammies all day, lounging around at home, eating pastry circles and napping - because I LOVED that. But, after this year, surprisingly I really liked something completely different! Although it can be hectic (see the 'what we're up to' list!), I love the homecoming feel of Christmas - and I feel that most when we gather with our extended family. I want spending time with them, while they're here, to be the focus of the season. And while they're still all gathering, I want to be there, even if it means a lot of car-time and not much rest. This year, it worked out great to spend a day with each of our parents and extended families - I hope we can keep that schedule again (or something close!). As a little conversation with a very sleepy Carson last night went (after the 8th 'party' in 7 days) ... Me: We had a big few days, didn't we? C: mmhmm. Me: Did you have fun seeing everyone and opening presents? C: mmhmm. Me: You got to see all of your family (list everyone's names, including pets, here). C: I like family. Me: I like our family too. C: Daddy likes family too? Mommy and Carsie and Daddy like family. :) Good note to end the holiday on, eh?
2. Love, love, love the magic of the season! Santa is a flexible guy - he visited our house on Christmas eve because he knew we wouldn’t be home on Christmas day. And, I saw him walking around on the Truax girl's deck too!
3. Timing is everything. In a moment of ironic timing, my camera died as I took the 1st picture of Carson opening his 1st gift on Christmas eve. Until we get a new one (or get the borrowed one from J&A!), I'm relying on everyone else to share their pics of Christmas 2008 - so send them, please! (More on cameras later.)
4. Some moments to remember: big boys creating a geotrax masterpiece while little boys watch, Carson cracking Robbie on the head with a pool cue, 6 little Stanford boys under the age of 4 swapping toys, J's 'juice of choice' being called out by a 2 year old...and on, and on!
Merry Christmas!